Tarlok Singh Chauhan is an Indian High Court Judge who is currently serving as the Acting Chief Justice of Himachal Pradesh High Court. He was appointed as the Acting Chief Justice on April 20, 2023. Prior to this, he served as a Judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court for almost 9 years.
Early Life and Education
Tarlok Singh Chauhan was born on January 9, 1964, in Rohru, Shimla, Himachal Pradesh. He completed his schooling from Bishop Cotton School in Shimla. He then pursued his graduation with honours from DAV College, Chandigarh, and obtained his degree in Law from Panjab University, Chandigarh.
Tarlok Singh Chauhan started his judicial career in 2014 when he was appointed as an Additional Judge of the Himachal Pradesh High Court. Later that year, he was appointed as a permanent Judge of the same court. He served in this position until April 2023 when he was appointed as the Acting Chief Justice of the Himachal Pradesh High Court.
Throughout his judicial career, Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan has made several noteworthy judgements.
- In one of his judgements, he ordered the Himachal Pradesh Police to list all the First Information Reports (FIRs) on its web portal. He also directed the police to work on online registration of an FIR.
- In another judgement, he issued detailed guidelines to the Himachal Pradesh Government and also directed the Principal Secretary of Education to issue mandatory orders to the state’s educational institutes (government-owned or private) to display detailed information on the notice board which were directed to be placed at the entrance of the campus and on their websites with respect to faculty and staff along with their qualifications and job experience (profile), details of infrastructure, affiliation along with certificates(s) of affiliation, details of internship and placement, fees with complete breakup and details, extracurricular activities with complete details, PTA with address and telephone numbers of its members, transport facilities with details, age of the institute and its achievements, if any, availability of scholarships with complete details, list of alumni(s) along with complete addresses and telephone numbers, and the state was further directed to ensure that no private educational institution is allowed to charge a fee towards building fund, infrastructure fund, development fund, etc.
Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan is married to Amandeep Chauhan and has two daughters named Tarana Chauhan and Amanat Chauhan.
Assets and Properties
As of the year 2023, Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan’s movable assets include:
- Bank deposits of Rs. 7,48,946
- Shares, debentures, mutual funds of Rs. 1,00,000
- Motor vehicle – Alto Model 2005.
His immovable assets includes:
- A half share in undivided land measuring 0-72-58 Hects, situated in Chak Khalai, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
- One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 1-21-65 Hects, situated in Chak Khalai, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
- One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 3-95-71 Hects, situated in Chak Dharal, village Dharal, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla
- One-fourth share in undivided land measuring 6-42-67 Hects, situated in Chak Pharog, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla, and a residential property located at House No. 123, Sector 10, Chandigarh.
Justice Tarlok Singh Chauhan has a diverse range of assets and properties, both movable and immovable. His movable assets consist of bank deposits, shares, debentures, mutual funds, and a motor vehicle. Meanwhile, his immovable assets include shares in several undivided lands located in Chak Khalai, village Pharog, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, and Chak Dharal, village Dharal, Sub Tehsil Tikkar, District Shimla. He also has a residential property in Sector 10, Chandigarh.