Sonu Nigam (Born on July 30, 1973) is a renowned Indian singer and music director.
Born on July 30, 1973, in Faridabad, Haryana, India, Sonu Nigam is 50 years old as of 2023. He belongs to the Leo zodiac sign and is an Indian by nationality. His schooling was completed at J.D. Tyler School in Delhi, and he pursued his college education at the University of Delhi, New Delhi.
Sonu Nigam made his debut as a singer with the album “Rafi Ki Yaadein Vol 10-20” in 1993. He entered Bollywood as a playback singer with the movie “Bewafa Sanam” in 1995. He also tried his hand at music direction in films like “Sooper Se Ooper” (2013) and even acted in “Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani” (2002).
Family & Relationships
Sonu Nigam is the son of singer Agam Kumar Nigam and Shobha Nigam. He has two younger sisters, Meenal and Neekita. Sonu Nigam is married to Madhurima Nigam and is the father of a son named Nevaan.
He follows Hinduism.
Sonu Nigam enjoys gymming, reading, and pursuing yoga. He also has a penchant for music and singing.
He stands at approximately 170 cm tall with dark brown eyes and black hair.
Awards & Honours
He has achieved several accolades in his career, including the National Film Award and multiple Filmfare Awards. In 2022, he was conferred with the Padma Shri award.
- A huge controversy arose in 2015 after he supported Radhe Maa by saying- “Just my 2 pence. Kaali Maa is depicted in lesser clothes than Radhey Maa. Interesting that this country wants to sue a woman for her clothes.”
- He had some heated arguments with Babul Supriyo at the Hotel Sun-n-Sand in Juhu over the issue of royalty earned on songs.
- In April 2017, he landed himself in trouble after he posted a series of tweets regarding the sound of Azaan that he termed it as “forced religiousness.”
- After his tweets on the use of loudspeakers at mosques, a West Bengal cleric’s issued a fatwa by which he will pay INR 10 lakhs to shave off Sonu’s head. In response, Sonu invited a hairstylist Aalim Hakim to cut his hair.
- After the release of the film Ae Dil Hai Mushkil (2016) in which Anushka Sharma mocked Mohammed Rafi by saying “Wo Gaate Kam Rote Zyada The,” Sonu Nigam, being a huge fan of Rafi, lashed out at the filmmaker Karan Johar.
- At the Agenda Aaj Tak Summit in December 2018, he made a controversial statement by digging at the adoration that Pakistani singers enjoy in India. “Sometimes, I feel as if it would have been better if I were from Pakistan. At least I would get offers from India.”
- Following the suicide of Sushant Singh Rajput, Sonu Nigam posted a video on Instagram on 18 June 2020, accusing two music companies in India of diminishing his image and having full control over the entire music industry in India. On 22 June 2020, he posted another video in which he explicitly accused Bhushan Kumar of damaging his image and not promoting new talents in the industry. Later, Bhushan Kumar’s wife, Divya Khosla Kumar also posted a video and responded to Sonu Nigam’s allegations
His preferences include various foods like paneer makhanwala, actors like Shah Rukh Khan and Aamir Khan, actresses like Madhuri Dixit and Marilyn Monroe, and movies like “Amar Prem” and “The Sixth Sense.” He also admires legendary musicians such as Mohammed Rafi and Lata Mangeshkar.
He earns around Rs. 5-7 Lakh per song and possesses commercial properties, with an estimated net worth of $8 million.