Leonardo DiCaprio, full name Leonardo Wilhelm DiCaprio, is a renowned actor, film producer, and environmentalist. He’s widely recognized by his nickname “Leo” and has been referred to as “Lenny D” by Vogue and “LDC” by Business Insider. His career has been marked by exceptional performances, earning him numerous awards and accolades.
- 1 Personal Life
- 2 Education
- 3 Career
- 4 Awards & Achievements
- 5 Physical Stats
- 6 Religion & Ethnicity
- 7 Habits & Hobbies
- 8 Political Inclination
- 9 Controversies
- 10 Relationships & Affairs
- 11 Family
- 12 Likes & Dislikes
- 13 Style Quotient
- 14 Net Worth
Born on November 11, 1974, in Los Angeles, California, Leonardo DiCaprio follows the zodiac sign Scorpio. He identifies as American and has shown a keen interest in environmental causes, aligning with his vegan food habit and Democratic political inclination.
DiCaprio’s educational journey saw him attending various schools in Los Angeles, although he eventually obtained a GED after dropping out of high school.
Leonardo DiCaprio’s journey in the entertainment industry began with his appearance in the film “Critters 3” in 1991. He also made guest appearances in TV shows. He ventured into production roles as well, serving as an executive producer for “The Aviator” and a producer for “The 11th Hour.”
Awards & Achievements
His list of accolades includes honors from the British Academy Film Awards, Chicago Film Critics Association, Golden Globe Awards, MTV Movie & TV Awards, and People’s Choice Awards.
- 2016: Best Actor for “The Revenant”
British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA)
- 2016: Best Actor for “The Revenant”
Chicago Film Critics Association
- 1993: Best Emerging Actor for “What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?”
- 2015: Best Actor for “The Revenant”
Golden Globe Awards
- 2005: Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for “The Aviator”
- 2014: Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Musical or Comedy for “The Wolf of Wall Street”
- 2016: Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for “The Revenant”
MTV Movie & TV Awards
- 1998: Best Male Performance for “Titanic”
- 2005: Best Male Performance for “The Aviator”
- 2014: Best WTF Moment for “The Wolf of Wall Street”
- 2016: Best Male Performance for “The Revenant”
People’s Choice Awards
- 2014: Favorite Dramatic Movie Actor for “The Great Gatsby”
Note: He has many more awards and accolades to his name.
Standing tall at 183 cm (6 feet), Leonardo DiCaprio possesses striking blue eyes and dark brown hair, contributing to his charismatic on-screen presence.
Religion & Ethnicity
Raised as a Catholic but not adhering to any specific religion, DiCaprio has expressed an interest in Buddhism and identifies as agnostic. His diverse ethnic background includes Italian-American heritage from his father’s side and Russian-German roots from his mother’s side.
Habits & Hobbies
Notable for his health-conscious choices, Leonardo DiCaprio follows a vegan diet and has a B (Rh-negative) blood group. Beyond his acting pursuits, DiCaprio is an enthusiast of diverse interests, including bicycling, scuba diving, video gaming, and exploring pristine landscapes. He can be reached at his fan mail address in West Hollywood.
DiCaprio aligns with the Democratic party, showcasing his engagement with political and social issues.
DiCaprio’s life hasn’t been without controversies, including incidents like
- A model hit him with a broken bottle: In 2005, he was severely injured when a model named Aretha Wilson hit him over the head with a broken bottle at a Hollywood party. Wilson, while protesting her innocence, claimed she thought Mr DiCaprio was, in fact, an ex-boyfriend who had been bad-mouthing her. DiCaprio needed 17 stitches for the gashes on his face and ear. Later, Wilson pleaded guilty and was sentenced to two years in prison in 2010.
- Money laundering case of a state-owned Malaysian investment fund: In June 2017, he returned Marlon Brando’s best actor Oscar statuette to the US government as part of an investigation into the money laundering by a state-owned Malaysian investment fund. He also returned Picasso painting and other artifacts that he had received as his 38th birthday gift in 2012 from business associates at Red Granite Pictures, which also funded his film “Wolf of Wall Street.” Reportedly, Red Granite co-founder Riza Aziz may have helped his stepfather, Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, embezzle USD 4.5 billion from a political development scheme, reported Los Angeles Times. The misappropriated funds were used to form the production company that funded the Martin Scorsese-directed movie “Wolf of Wall Street.”
- Asked to withdraw an ill-advised climate campaign in India: In September 2019, various climate activists from India urged him to withdraw support for a controversial tree-planting program in India, which could result in catastrophic environmental damage. In an open letter, more than 90 Indian environmental and rights groups, warned DiCaprio and his endorsement of the Cauvery Calling campaign was ill-advised. They said the campaign could lead to the “drying up of streams and rivulets and destruction of wildlife habitats.”
Relationships & Affairs
Throughout his life, DiCaprio’s romantic relationships have garnered significant media attention, involving well-known names from the entertainment and modeling industries.
- Bijou Phillips (American actress, model, socialite, and singer)- In the late 90s
- Kristen Zang, American Actress
- Emma Miller, Actress and Model
- Gisele Bündchen, Brazilian Model (2000-2005)
- Bar Refaeli, Israeli Model (2005-2011)
- Blake Lively, Actress (2011)
- Erin Heatherton, Model (2012)
- Toni Garrn, German Model (2013-2014)
- Kelly Rohrbach, Model (2015)
- Camila Morrone, American Model and Actress (April 2018-August 2022)
- Gigi Hadid (American model and television personality) (2022) (rumoured)
- Neelam Gill (a British Punjabi model)
Born to George DiCaprio and Irmelin Indenbirken, with a step-mother Peggy Farrar, DiCaprio has a step-brother Adam Farrar. His family background contributes to his unique heritage.
Likes & Dislikes
DiCaprio’s artistic inclinations shine through his favorite film director Martin Scorsese, as well as his admiration for actors like Robert De Niro, Al Pacino, Jack Nicholson, and actresses Meg Ryan and Meryl Streep. He enjoys pasta and lemonade, and his preferred movies include classics like “The Bicycle Thief” and “Taxi Driver.”
DiCaprio’s car collection boasts a mix of environmentally-conscious choices like the Tesla Roadster, along with more traditional vehicles like the Ford Mustang and luxury options like the Porsche Cayenne.
Assets & Properties
- Tudor in hip Los Feliz, CA (bought from musician Moby for $4.9 million)
- The Hollywood Hills compound, Oriole Way (purchased in 1994 from pop legend Madonna for $4 million)
- The ‘Billionaire’s Beach’ bungalow (worth $10.95 million; purchased in 1998)
- An island near Belize (worth $1.75 million; purchased in 2005)
- The Battery Park twofer, New York City (two apartments worth $3.67 million and $8 million; purchased in 2008 and March 2014, respectively)
- Palm Springs spread, CA (worth $5.2 million; purchased in March 2014)
- The Malibu Mini (worth $23 million; purchased in January 2017)
With substantial earnings from his successful career, DiCaprio’s net worth has been estimated at around $245 million, reflecting his status as a Hollywood heavyweight. His diverse property investments, from lavish homes to islands, underscore his financial prowess.