Amitabh Bachchan, born as Inquilaab Srivastava, is an Indian actor, television host, and former politician. Widely regarded as one of the greatest actors in the history of Indian cinema, he is fondly known by various nicknames, including “Munna,” “Big B,” “Angry Young Man,” “AB Sr.,” “Amith,” and “Shahenshah of Bollywood.” With a career spanning several decades, Amitabh Bachchan has established himself as an iconic figure in the film industry.
Early Life and Education
Born on October 11, 1942, in Allahabad, British India (now Uttar Pradesh, India), Amitabh Bachchan is a Libra by zodiac sign. He hails from a Hindu Kayastha family and follows Hinduism as his religion. Bachchan completed his education at various institutions, including Jnana Pramodhini Boys High School in Allahabad, Sherwood College in Nainital, Government College Sector-11 in Chandigarh, and Kirori Mal College in New Delhi, where he pursued a Bachelor of Science degree.
Amitabh Bachchan made his acting debut in 1969 with the Hindi film “Saat Hindustani.” His remarkable talent soon caught the attention of audiences and filmmakers alike, leading to a prolific career that spanned across multiple languages and genres. He also made his English film debut with “The Great Gatsby” in 2013. In addition to acting, Bachchan ventured into film production and made his television debut as the host of the popular show “Kaun Banega Crorepati” (KBC) in 2000.
Awards, Honours, Achievements
- 1984: Padma Shri by the Government of India
- 2001: Padma Bhushan by the Government of India
- 2007: Knight of the Legion of Honour (France’s highest civilian honour from the Government of France)
- 2015: Padma Vibhushan by the Government of India
- 1980: Awadh Samman by the Government of Uttar Pradesh
- 1994: Yash Bharti Award (Uttar Pradesh’s highest honour)
- 2005: Deenanath Mangeshkar award
- 2013: President of India ‘Medallion of Honour’
National Film Awards
- 1990: Best Actor for Agneepath
- 2005: Best Actor for Black
- 2009: Best Actor for Paa
- 2015: Best Actor for Piku
- 2019: Dadasaheb Phalke Award
- 2002: Voted the “”Hottest Male Vegetarian”” by ‘People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ (PETA)
- 2008: Voted “”Asia’s Sexiest Vegetarian Man””
- 2012: Voted the “”Hottest Male Vegetarian”” for the fourth time by ‘People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals’ (PETA)
- 2021: On March 19, he became the first person from Indian cinema to be honoured with an award by the International Federation of Film Archives (FIAF). Martin Scorcese and Christopher Nolan presented him the award during a virtual showcase.
Throughout his illustrious career, Amitabh Bachchan has encountered a few controversies.
- He was embroiled in the Bofors scandal, but was later declared not guilty.
- He also faced legal battles regarding land deals and accusations of submitting false documents.
- In addition, Bachchan had to confront a ban imposed by Stardust magazine during his peak years in the film industry.
Despite these challenges, he has managed to maintain his stature and continue his successful journey in the world of entertainment.
— Amitabh Bachchan (@SrBachchan) May 30, 2017
Family & Relationships
Amitabh Bachchan tied the knot with fellow actress Jaya Bhaduri on June 3, 1973. They have two children: son Abhishek Bachchan, who is also an actor, and daughter Shweta Bachchan Nanda. Abhishek Bachchan is married to popular actress Aishwarya Rai. Amitabh Bachchan’s parents are Harivansh Rai Bachchan, a renowned Hindi poet, and Teji Bachchan. He has a younger brother named Ajitabh Bachchan.
Physical Stats & More
Standing tall at 6’2″ (188 cm), Amitabh Bachchan possesses a commanding presence. He has captivating dark brown eyes and sports a distinguished salt and pepper hair color, which adds to his charismatic appeal.
Known for his discerning taste, Amitabh Bachchan has several favorites in various categories. He relishes dishes like Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer, and Gulab Jamun, and has a fondness for the sweet shop Jhama Sweets in Chembur, Mumbai. Dilip Kumar is his favorite actor, while Waheeda Rehman is his preferred actress. Mehmood Ali, the talented comedian, is someone he admires. Bachchan has a penchant for classic Bollywood movies and Hollywood films like “Gone With The Wind,” “Godfather,” “Black,” and “Scarface.” Among singers, he holds Lata Mangeshkar and Kishore Kumar in high regard. His favorite music instrument is the Sarod, and white is his preferred color. When it comes to sports, he enjoys watching cricket and lawn tennis, with Novak Djokovic being his favorite tennis player. Amitabh Bachchan supports the football club Chelsea and appreciates the perfume brand Lomani. London, Switzerland, and Saint Petersburg are among his favored holiday destinations.
Assets & Liabilities
Amitabh Bachchan’s style extends beyond his on-screen presence. He has an impressive car collection, including luxury vehicles such as Bentley, Lexus, Mercedes-Benz, Porche, Range Rover, and Rolls Royce. Bachchan’s properties include his iconic residence named Jalsa, situated near Juhu’s JW Marriott, and several other properties in Mumbai and Delhi. He also owns an ancestral house in Allahabad, which has been transformed into an educational trust.
Bachchan’s net worth is estimated to be around $400 million, making him one of the wealthiest actors in India.
These details provide insights into the life, career, and preferences of the legendary actor Amitabh Bachchan, showcasing his indelible impact on the Indian entertainment industry.